If you have questions about the admissions process, contact Karen Keifer-Boyd, Lead Faculty, MPS Program
For admission to the Graduate School, an applicant must hold either (1) a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or (2) a tertiary (postsecondary) degree that is deemed comparable to a four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution. This degree must be from an officially recognized degree-granting institution in the country in which it operates.
- Completed Graduate School application and nonrefundable application fee.
- Statement of purpose in pursuing the MPS in Art Education
- Three letters of recommendation
- Teaching portfolio, including teaching philosophy and a sample of curricular materials developed by the applicant
- Critical reflective written response to an article provided in the application. The response should outline the key arguments made by the author(s), a critical evaluation of the logic and assumptions in the article, and a connection to the applicant's own instructional or professional experience.
- Curriculum vitae with evidence of professional leadership and service
- English Proficiency — The language of instruction at Penn State is English. All international applicants must take and submit scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with some exceptions. Minimum test scores and exceptions are found in the English Proficiency section on the Graduate School "How to Apply" page.
- Two official transcripts from each institution attended, mailed to:
Lead Faculty, MPS Program
School of Visual Arts
The Pennsylvania State University
210 Arts Cottage
University Park PA 16802
How to Apply
- Read the admissions requirements.
- Begin the graduate school application.
- On the "Admissions and Program Information Portal" page, choose "Apply Now."
- When you get to the "Campus, Major, Degree & Semester" page:
- Choose "WORLD CAMPUS" as the campus.
- Choose "ART EDUCATION" as the major.
- Choose "M P S" as the degree.
Our courses are designed to use technology in a way that enriches the learning experience and helps students communicate and collaborate with faculty and classmates in a productive and convenient way. Technology is an important cornerstone of this program; therefore, we provide "live" support from HelpDesk support staff through real-time chat. Please view the technical requirements for this program.
How to Take Online Art Education Graduate Courses Prior to Applying for the MPS Degree
You may be interested in earning credits while you apply for program admission. As a "nondegree" graduate, you may take courses in the program as you gather the application materials required for program admission. You may take up to 15 credits in nondegree status before submitting your application portfolio. For first time enrollment in a MPS course call (800) 252-3592 and ask to register for a particular course listed at http://schedule.psu.edu/act_search.cfm If you decide to apply to the MPS, and if accepted into the MPS, the course can be transferred into the MPS in serving degree requirements.
After reading through the admissions requirements above, start the application process.