The Outline Designer was published the other day with its first update in over a year. Not only is this a huge milestone for the project with getting a usability / experience overhaul, but it also sees the first full release of the project. Outline Designer is kind of my baby so I'm glad to finally put together a fully functional, finished product with it.
It has almost all of the same features as 1.0-rc3 with the exception of Thickbox based node form editing. That was dropped for performance and experience reasons as it didn't get used very often and was a clunky implementation. The biggest wins for the project are as follows:
- Clean URLs now work with the outline designer
- Duplicate is 100% accurate
- Ease of Install -- The only required module is book now (a lot less js bloat as a result)
- More friendly terminology -- "node" has been scrubbed from the UI and response messages make sense to people
- Better Browser support -- Works in Firefox 3+, Safari 5 and Chrome without any issues and in IE 8, Safari 4, and Opera 10 with only minor issues
- Ability to visually collapse branches to make it easier to work with large content structures
Overall it is a much more solid product and I've already been getting pretty positive feedback. Hopefully this is the update the module needed to break through the 260's in terms of usage. Especially now that it doesn't require Prepopulate (not a big deal), Ajax (bigger deal), Or Thickbox (total deal breaker for most) and Clean URLs are now supported (another deal breaker previously).